Sunday, December 26, 2010

What's in a Name?


Hermione: (1) a female given name derived from Greek; (2) in Greek mythology, she's the daughter of King Menelaus and Helen of Sparta; (3) in Shakespeare's "The Winter's Tale," she's Queen of Sicily; (4) in early Christian history, she's a martyr (Hermione of Ephesus)...


It's by no accident that I came to be known in this House as H. Granger-- H, of course, stands for both my real given name and my "Secret-Keeper name," a very convenient fate for me.

My first choice for a secret name was Minerva McGonagall, for the no-brainer reason that I am a real-life professor, but changed my mind after careful consideration of a major character named Hermione Granger.

 
From Book One through Book Seven, I have always related with Hermione Jean Granger. Fictionally, she was born on 19 September 1979, three years after my birth year. She's described in the books as "not much of a looker, with her bushy hair and prominent front teeth," which, perhaps was the reason why she strives to excel-- to make up for what she lacks in the looks department. She is a Muggle, another reason why she is so driven to achieve more than what a pureblood could achieve in a wizarding school. She loves books. She's very cerebral. She's more of a thinking person, rather than a mushy gooey-in-the-inside girl. She does not demonstrate her vulnerability toward the boy she's grown to love. She is a faithful comrade to Harry Potter. In summary, Hermione is MY LITERARY ALTER EGO. She is me.



The incident with the Time-Turner really made me say, "That girl is me." Each time she does a life-saving move, I am in awe of her, wishing I was her. I sometimes have the "hero complex," but I use my brains more than my brawn in crisis moments.


Her choice of a boy to give her affections to is another distinctive quality we share. I do not go for "the Man," the popular "Chosen One." I usually fall for the quiet, brooding, not-so-popular type.

Finally, I chose to be called H. Granger because I am a middle child and, like Hermione Granger, I serve as the fulcrum in the trio, the voice of reason, the emotional trash can, the "idea girl."


Happy 1st Monthsary Fellow Number 12 Denizens!!!

5 comments:

  1. Pumpkin pie,

    I am practically a nobody. I am very unpopular. I am NOT "the man," nor "the chosen one." I am just a doe.

    it's me,

    your blueberry cheesecake

    ReplyDelete
  2. H.Granger,

    You may be the doe's pumpkin pie... but you will always be an H.Granger to G.Potter... A friend that teaches me a lot of things about the world and about you know what..hehehe..

    Merci beacoup!

    Lots of love,
    G.Potter♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. G. Potter, Mon Amie,

    Awww... that's sweet!I'm glad ur learning ur lessons...esp about you-know-what...

    Avec toute mon coeur,

    H. Granger


    Blueberry cheesecake Dear,

    Maybe that's why I am so into you.

    Je t'aimerais toujours,

    Pumpkin Pie

    ReplyDelete
  4. G. Potter:

    I wonder if you could let me in on your and H. Granger's little secret, which you're referring to as "you-know-what." Pardon me, but I am plain curious. Anything having to do with H. Granger strikes me as interesting.

    Silver Doe

    ReplyDelete
  5. Silver Doe,

    for a change, let me keep a secret from you...hehehe.. that's for us to know... and you to wonder for a long time...hehehe

    Glad i'm making you curious,
    G.Potter♥

    ReplyDelete